Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fauxfredo sauce


In an effort to get the kiddos to eat more veggies, I started hiding them in things. Now that they've had a taste of veggies *hidden* in things they actually enjoy, I just put the good stuff on the plate for them to see. They like white and green trees (broccoli & cauliflower), princess wands/swords (asparagus), eggplant, corn, and carrots. Of course, they like french fries and ketchup too, which are two of my own personal favorite veggies.

Anywho, in an effort to add more veggies to their diet and remove calories from mine, I came up with Fauxfredo sauce. It's like Alfredo sauce, but SO much healthier! The first time I made it (I didn't tell anyone what was in it), Brian was wowed and told me that it was just like the Alfredo dipping sauce at the Olive Garden. It is pretty darn tasty, either served over whole-wheat pasta, spaghetti squash, or just used as a dipping sauce. I'm not big on actual recipes or measurements. I'm more of a "pinch of this, dash of that" kind of cook, but here goes.

Fauxfredo Sauce
Prep: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins (depending on your microwave)

Ingredients

  • 1 head cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 cup milk, or maybe a little more depending on the thickness you want
  • sea salt (it tastes SO much better)
  • Italian seasoning (I use that McCormick grinder Italian seasoning... on everything)
  • 1/3 cup of parmesan (you don't need to get all fancy, the stuff in the green can is fine)
  • Garlic or garlic powder. The powder (or a granulated garlic) works a little better for this quick recipe.

1. Put the chopped cauliflower and milk into a glass bowl and microwave for 7-10 minutes, depending on the wattage of your microwave. You're basically just cooking the milk and using it to steam the cauliflower. You could steam it over water, but that's a few extra steps and a few extra dishes. It's done when the cauliflower is soft.
2. Put the milk/cauliflower in the blender along with the Italian seasoning and the parmesan cheese. I always just use the highest setting and assume the others are just for decoration. It should only take a few seconds in the blender to turn it into a hot liquid.
3. Add more milk if you want it thinner and blend a little more.
4. Add sea salt/garlic/more cheese to taste.
5. Toss with pasta.

This makes enough to toss with a box of pasta and have PLENTY left over for breadstick dipping or another meal.

Nutritional Info (calculated by www.thedailyplate.com)


Just for the sake of comparison, Ragu Alfredo sauce (which isn't nearly as yummy) has a whopping 110 calories per 1/4 cup. Too much of that and I won't look so hot in my skinny jeans, you know, when I get some skinny jeans. If you eat 1/4 cup of this over 2 cups of spaghetti squash it's only 100 calories for the whole thing and you are FULL! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. this makes me happy. I want to try this. now. my mouth is watering. you and mimi must stop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it as an Undercover Mother! I haven't introduced white pasta sauce to my little one yet...but I'll be sure to keep this secret in mind when I do!!

    ReplyDelete